Sunday, January 16, 2011

Possession

There's German phrase which needs to be introduced into Kenyan society forthwith - 'mit sich gehen lassen', 'to let something come home with you'. The possibilities in English - 'pilferage', 'taking without consent', 'theft' all have a strong whiff of moral outrage, not really encountered in my day to day dealings with infractions here. 

Of course in many ways its not really surprising. On any main road out of Nairobi you see huddles of police pulling vehicles off the road for chance 'inspections', to be overcome by payment of a bribe.  What's thine is mine if I have power. endorsed from the top.  It's acknowledged. In the two-day national matatu strike last year, one respected economic institution conducted a study on the loss to the economy of the bribes to police which weren't paid by matatus on strike. Millions of shillings.  (So different professions become desirable in different countries. In a surprise discussion with a relief guard a few months ago he said wistfully, 'What I'd really like to be is a traffic policeman.'  'Mobile ATMs' they're called.)

'Where did you last have it?' isn't such a relevant question in Kenya.  It assumes that inanimate objects stay, immobile, where they were placed. Twice now at BigCorporate I have turned up, bushytailed, ready for work, to discover my computer, ethernet cable, power lead and all has disappeared. Walked off with a colleague for their use or been dumped into a mass dumping ground by IT Services. No shared networks in BigCorporate, so loss of hard drive means loss of all documents.  I've taken to using a flashdrive.

But its worst of all at school. No one expects children to be paragons of virtue in the keeping track of things stakes. But First and SecondBorn were the children of two working parents in UK, veterans of complicated liftshare rotas where Family One picks up to accompany to school, via walking bus, via school cloakroom, via after school club, via Family Two taking to Brownies and Family Three delivering home.  There were occasional disasters, where FirstBorn's school uniform got whisked off to far-flung work in FamilyFriend's car, and she had to slouch round school in non-uniform standout jeans all day.  But even in the worst case scenario, coats which had got left at gymnastics were still waiting meekly on the hooks in the council public changing room one week later.

Now in Kenya we (and others) source Clarks school shoes annually, one size large to grow into, transported if you (or a friend) travel to UK.  So the exasperation when they disappear on day one of wearing cannot be expressed.  It's not just happened to us. New children (and their brand new uniform) seem targeted. Four different cases that I can cite of distraught children and mothers on day one at a new school (and new country).  'But they CAN'T have disappeared.' 'But they have.'  And of course, relatively, we are so wealthy here. And of course it could be the far more impoverished cleaning staff.  But it isn't.  Rulers, rubbers, shoes, trainers, tennis rackets, gone, never to return. We've got through five compulsory sunhats in four terms.  I started out naming in UK style, nametapes sewn inside. But as my frustration has grown, so has my lettering. First and SecondBorn now have their names in ten cm high letters in indelible marker on the front of their caps. Hopefully if another child is wearing it, a child or teacher will bring the name change to their attention.

I'm not saying we're blameless, but the cultural expectations of swapsies too are different here. In term one, when SecondBorn came home in another child's nametaped shirt or socks we would wash them, and return them via the nanny or driver or whoever did the pickup. By the end of the term we were three shirts and four pairs of socks down. Reciprocity - or the authority to act independently to return an additional shirt to a mother without fear for ones job for stealing - in short supply here. So now I treat it as one out one in too. Become part of the problem.

Different too, the expectations of how much it is acceptable to swipe. I've 'tidied up' my children's Easter eggs after bedtime, even having sworn fervently that I wouldn't.  But I've been artistic. I've evened it up maybe, but I've known moderation.  I've realised there would be a small list of suspects with one name heading the list, and shyed away from the consequences of being disrobed.  SecondBorn came home in redfaced outrage from Saturday Cricket Camp last term. 'They ate ALL my biscuits while I was batting.'  His 'friends' and teammates sat and demolished all of his halftime snack, opening his tupperware, eating four biscuits, shutting it again, and then denying it barefaced when confronted with the evidence. 

Or the sad tale of our avocado tree. We didn't have a avocado tree in our garden in Hertfordshire. At our first harvest we were more than a little excited about its progress. No nonchalence here. Drooling salivation, and great jubilation that our first crop coincided with the family visit for Christmas.  'Would you like an avocado from our tree...?'  Smug smug smug.  This year we monitored the progress with interest. Stood under it and counted. Watched the ripening load with glee. Went away for one night. And returned to find the tree shorn of everything. Bare.  As with the Easter eggs there wasn't a long list of suspects.  We have an electric fence round the house, a guard perpetually stationned at the gate, and only one person, the handyman, with access to the ladder.  Miss Marple-like, I also recalled that our handyman's wife has set up a duka market kiosk (manufactured with over 50 cardboard boxes from our move.)  I don't mind sharing, having been asked, but really.  Had one of those firm, frank, forthright discussions I truly never used to have, which are becoming a regular part of life in Nairobi.

I suppose some might see these as victimless crimes, akin to shoplifting from a large and wealthy UK corporate.  For me it's even worse to steal from friends. Another Mum, embedded in society here, talks of her experience with one on one playdates. Toys disappear. You'll be getting the children into the car to return them home, and a child will say she needs the toilet and get out and go upstairs alone. And when she returns I'll think, 'That's another toy gone.'  Sometimes she has caught individuals red-handed, but the trend persists.  This isn't a case of three year olds, these are prosperous children into double figures, who should know better.  'But Catrin, haven't you understood yet, if you aren't caught here it hasn't happened.'

And that's true too. In our area brand new luxury houses are being knocked down, seemingly at random, to make way for a new road-building programme. Half million pound houses on quiet suburban streets, gone, from one day to the next. As I stood, mouth slack, outside the latest one, not two blocks down from us, someone explained these aren't just chance wilful choices. 'The road has been planned for years. The ones they've knocked down weren't legal you know. They didn't own the land, they did a landgrab.' And then built a half million pound house on the stolen land.  Nothing diffident or provisional there.

And now I'm trickling to an end without a conclusion, because these are tricky issues. But I think they matter.  The school says that things go missing because so many children haven't learnt to pick up after themselves, because their nannies pick up for them. I understand that's partly true. I think its also so, that children who are looked after by staff who are too scared to tell them off if they see them doing something inappropriate, may not learn wider senses of right and wrong on some things.  And there's the other part, my part in the saga, that it's embarrassing to put your head above the parapet and call people to account, try to coach to different action, try to model how things could be. One friend last week was called by the PE teacher. She rushed to school to discover her child hysterical, not, as she'd been told 'because he'd forgotten his trainers' but rather because another child was wearing them and refusing to give them back.  These trainers too were new, just bought in South Africa, and distinctive. They'd been put on a bench in the changing rooms while her son put his shorts on. They'd disappeared in three minutes. The other child said he had ones like this too.  But on investigation, his school shoes were two sizes smaller. After an hour's parental detective work in the changing rooms, restitution was made.  But most of us, I'd say, wouldn't push it that far. Would get embarrassed first. Would leave it to the school, who would brush it under the carpet as a Difficult Issue.  And that, I think, is how children who are tempted, become adults who act with impunity.

1 comment:

  1. It's interesting, to my mind, that the schools don't come down harder on this. In a British school, deliberately taking something that didn't belong to you would be frowned upon.

    I think the horrible lesson is that you can't rely on people's own consciences - you need a culture of disapproval with repercussions if caught. In this country, a lot of people have no qualms about taking stuff from hotel rooms, sweeping up armfuls of shampoos, soaps, sewing kits etc. People think it doesn't matter because it's a hotel and "hotels expect it" but perhaps it's because they know they simply won't get caught.

    ReplyDelete

Please do leave a comment, it is good to hear from you.