Well yes, it was an uphill slog. I'm an expat Careers Adviser. I support clients applying for jobs in third countries. Help them consider and articulate how their experience in Somalia is of relevance for Zimbabwe. Some 80% of them get the job. I know there's a massive recession, hundreds of applicants for each job in some fields. But I thought getting a work permit and setting up a company in Kenya was the difficult bit. I don't think I apply for jobs beyond where I'm at. And yet nonetheless which are the missing links it took me a while to grasp when I was looking for work back in my home country, UK, for myself?
Well first, and obviously, each person's situation is different. You can't predict your own progress by those of your friends. Many of my clients are the ones with the primary expat jobs in their family, snazzy job titles and IN the corporate structures. We all know it is much easier to find a job when you have a job. As I say to the other half of my clients, the accompanying spouses, it is very much harder when you've lost the entry ramps and informal networks. I've kept up with my referees, have kept them updated, - but its harder to get the soft information and onto the specialist linked-in and professional body groups if you're working abroad in another sector. 'I'm one of you really' I email in plaintive tone to the group's admins. All a bit too needy.
The sector makes a difference. It is far more productive to apply from another country when your sector is international development. When an email address ending in a far-off country domain is an accolade showing you've already won your spurs. Or when you are seeking posts in another country office for the large corporate which sent you to Kenya in the first place. Those of us seeking to return to a non-global sector in an austerity-hit insular market from a foreign clime, well its different. And you're addressing not only the reality, but other people's perceptions of the reality. 'Kenya = mud huts' or 'Kenya = Safari Pit Helmets & Out of Africa', - neither of which are perceived as helpful brands to show you as a key innovator in a university careers service.
The internet and jobs websites are a massive boon. Thank you www.jobs.ac.uk, www.agcas.org.uk, www.tes.co.uk and the ICG. But boo hiss to online applications which allow no space anywhere for free text to explain a non-standard situation in three slick sentences.
'The past is another country. They do things differently there.'
Things move on. Many of the big issues in university careers work are the same as when I left - teaching & learning in an innovative way, supporting clients to get good quality experience to position them well in a difficult market, outperforming the rivals, entrepreneurship, employer engagement, good guidance skills, every last measure to help people get those jobs - but things which were twiddly add-ons four years ago - providing services and workshops online - have become major parts of the job. We do things online at BigCorporate too (unlike in much of Kenya), but of course the 200 word competency questions don't allow for the fact that my clients in the main can only afford phones after they've been at work for several months, and that none of them have laptops. It doesn't mean that I don't develop & market innovative services in an innovative way if I can't answer a question like:
'And can you tell us about a time when you used social media in an organisational context to meet a training need. What did you do and how did you know it was successful?'
But you need the self confidence to produce a more homespun example.
Its a risky business for managers hiring staff. They want to feel assured that you get and can perform in the context. Have skills which add value. Specialisms where you can lead the team. But, beware pitfall, also, where you can lead the team in directions they want to go. Its hard applying from a different context. Much of what I've learned in Kenya has been about how to be creative, resourceful, develop twin-track approaches which cover belt and braces both, and to lead in a difficult, different, insecure environment where I'm in a tiny & very visible minority. And judging by the body language in at least two of the interviews, even toned down magnolia examples can throw the panel, demonstrate the yawning chasm of LifeElsewhere, get interviewers feeling deeply twitchy and insecure, - not what you want. Yes panels want interesting examples, but all too often, I fear, they want interesting examples which hit IN their comfort zones. And that's the gap too for transition between field and headquarters. On paper the competencies look the same. In practice the realities and skillsets don't overlap, never the twain shall meet.
Friends of mine were catching up recently about a third friend who has become a consultant based in an idyllic but non-metropolitan far-flung part of the UK.
'Yes yes, its great on one level, but the problem is he is too far away, he isn't bumping into potential clients at donor meetings or coffee shops, - and out of sight is out of mind.'
And return is a bit like that too. You can affect nonchalence on the form:
'I will be in UK between x and y [carefully covering the dates of the interview] should you wish to shortlist this application.' No one wants to shortlist a candidate who might be asking for international fares in the current climate, better to meet this one head-on. You also don't want to sound that too much is hanging on this lone application lest they get cold feet.
'It would be helpful to know as far in advance as possible to help me to cluster appointments. I would be unavailable on x and y.'
On the other hand you can make it sound too easy. I heard of one Kenya-based Deputy Head who flew back to UK for interview at his own expense four times when each time the job went to the internal candidate, before he netted his own catch. If you know in advance that the internal is the front-runner, don't use an overseas candidate as the makeweight. For me, at one interview recently at a burgeoning university in the North East it became clear that all the other candidates already lived within two miles of the institution. They already had permanent contracts in precisely this role in rival institutions, just wanted to move closer to home. Had all attended the same regional conference on the previous day. Again, the body language of the manager - who failed to give me any eye contact in the hour long pre-briefing of four of us - made it very clear she thought I was the outlier. And that wasn't overcome through the interview, when two of the panel of three sat, arms folded, for 45 minutes.
'I'm quite nice really,' I wanted to say. Though by the end I was feeling more feisty, wanting to lean over and tap them on the chest.
'I've flown 5000 miles, at my own expense, to come for this. I'm not a gatecrasher. You invited me. I've done the preliminary (free) consultancy project you asked for, designed the workshop and the presentation, been observed giving guidance to one of your students. You might at least pretend to put me at ease, or to consider I might have something of interest to share.'
Not that its much easier when the panel has the bright idea to interview remotely.
'Skype doesn't work very well here,' I email, trying to combine proactive solution-finding with realism.
'Can you send me a mobile number so I could text if our power goes, so you aren't left waiting without contact.'
'Oh it'll be fine,' they replied, secure in the knowledge they skype their governors in Clapham and Droitwich without incident. 10 minutes into the interview - which I'm holding outside for the best reception as it isn't raining, be-suited to get in character but with our free-range chickens pecking my toes, - the headteacher broke in, weakly.
'I really can't hear a word you're saying. I think what you're saying sounds interesting, but I really can't tell. Can you send me an email of what you were saying...'
Or my client who had an interview by videolink in a booked internal meeting room. When seven colleagues bustled in, loud and self-importantly for an impromptu meeting in the double-booked room.
'Trying to have a job interview here' he hissed at them out of the side of his mouth so the far-off panel wouldn't notice his strident tone, as the gatecrashers opened their notebooks and settled down for the duration. In vain. Had to decamp to the broom cupboard to conclude the interview by phone.
There are a range of difficulties for the non-resident interviewee. Not least the penchant to give a tour of the campus to the candidates. Which requires a coat, since this is generally conducted in the driving rain. Thank you thank you my generous mate who has lent me her warm, toasty, appropriate Jack Wolfskin coat for each of the interviews of the last year, in lieu of the scraggy winter coat I binned when we left for Kenya, and have been too mean to replace while out here. I'm sure it all helps.
Recruiters, consider how your rejection letters might be received. I know its the bit of the job no one likes, which gets delegated to the lowly admin assistant, but a thoughtful, intelligent one powers the downcast interviewee for weeks (thank you University of Warwick). Whereas this written feedback from a self-importantly Elite Institution got me outraged and spitting feathers:
In the end I decided I needed specialist help. Career guidance makes a difference. It may be my field but you can't give yourself a massage. And yes, a short sharp specialist careers interview offered really helpful feedback, helped me up my game and I got the next job in a great institution, in a really interesting role. Hurrah. But a longer, far more uphill process than I'd encountered before on previous returns from stints abroad in the EU, from postgraduate study or childcare, in previous recessions.
So which are the tips I wish someone had given me:
* Before you leave your home country, convert to a career break membership of your professional body. They'll offer publications, newsgroups, maybe career guidance, maybe cheap professional liability insurance if you set up shop abroad. But getting in with them, from abroad, ain't easy.
* Keep your eye on the ball back home, keep up your CPD, check how regulations and issues are changing. What implications does this have? And if you're in a highly regulated profession it might be worth considering going back for a month each year to keep your registration up to date. If you're in a sector where you need criminal records checks, - or have children in whose schools you might want - or be forced - to help out, even as a volunteer on a working bus or a reading mum - well make sure you get the proof you haven't been convicted/charged with anything in the host country before you leave.
* Plan at least 18 months in advance for professional return, to update your skills, revive your networks, receive and read key new books via very longwinded post, attend the national conference for networking if funds allow. If you're moving to a third country, consider the needs there, the assets in your current place, the links and transferable skills you could develop or offer. Could you take on a short project to demonstrate your prowess in the new field? Its always easier to get good experience at the end of the previous posting, building on your understanding and contacts, than at the start of the new posting.
* Consider which additional experience abroad would add lustre to your case. In my experience, and that of most of my clients, experience abroad is very devalued in the UK context - unless Abroad is the key business of the organisation - so you're applying based on the experience you had before you left. Nonetheless confidence will out, and knowing you've achieved to your utmost in your current context has to help at some level. But can you publish that research paper or run a free workshop for a prestigious client? How can you demonstrate the level at which you've been performing to a new market which can't read the signals of the brands you've been working with, the challenges you've overcome?
* Recruiters are conservative, especially with non-resident applicants where there might be some doubt about their claims, where the most recent referee, however acclaimed, isn't in the same networks, where you haven't seen the applicant in action. Initially I tried applying for a new sector (careers work in schools) based on the work I'd been doing in Kenya in this field. One headteacher was upfront with me.
'Yes you were the front runner, have very strong experience. We liked you, you would fit in. But your experience in university admissions was mainly abroad. In Africa. We can see you've had a national impact in an internationally competitive field. But Head of Careers is just too important a job for us to take a risk, however small. Sorry.'
Be realistic about how big a switch you can do. In general you aren't going to get a promotion on immediate return unless you're staying within the same organisation. Transitions to new sectors based on overseas experience will be tricky too. Sadly UK-based experience is what counts for most recruiters in these risk-averse times, even when, as in higher education, its a global market. Be willing to be flexible, to either better focus your message or to adapt where you target to feedback from the market, however wrongheaded you may think it.
* Save, hard. As a teacher at our kids' school said, tongue in cheek, when congratulated on her new job back home: 'Yes, we can eat again.' But it adds up. Flights, hire cars, travelodge rooms and somewhere to hang out between stage one and two of the interview, ain't cheap.
* Articulate your needs in the application form. 'Our post takes six weeks. Communication by email is best.' I couldn't come back for interview during the six week period around Kenyan elections, as we were apprehensive there could be violence, and the family needed me here. In the end it wasn't a problem, but I felt I needed to be clear upfront. But be willing to be flexible. Most universities are now selecting by two and three stage assessment centre processes - not ideal for a candidate hoping to fit it all into one or two days - and in the end I had to bow out of University of London's extended four stage process. Sadly just not viable.
* Think hard which achievements are the most relevant for the new context. Get feedback. When you are transferring within the same context you can usually be clear that the examples you are most impressed by are those which speak most eloquently of your competencies. But into a new context it can just articulate dissonance.
My example of training and sending undergraduate mentors out into the bush to offer outreach guidance support and to talk high school teachers through how to write a university reference doesn't speak of creativity, innovation and resilience in the UK setting, but of do-lally failure to focus. Why didn't they just phone head office or look it up on the internet? Or ask someone local who knew how. Hard, from the UK, to imagine schools which don't have phone lines let alone internet (or computers), where teachers are highly respected but lack professional networks or any contacts with anyone with experience overseas at all, even a week's holiday in the neighbouring country. Just as other people's holiday photos are rarely that fascinating for public consumption, so too the highs and lows of your professional achievements abroad will likely need radical trimming and strimming before they hit the spot back home.
* Which is why career guidance helps, but guidance with skilled practitioners who understand the issues and the context, - and don't give cookie cutter answers, but think on the job and say when they don't know. I went to C2, the Careers Group, University of London's commercial careers service where they deal with streams of mid career professionals - and it shows. Not cheap at £160 for a one hour session - but precisely the specialist support & focus I needed and couldn't have got in Kenya to help me get the job.
And what do you think, what were your experiences?
Well first, and obviously, each person's situation is different. You can't predict your own progress by those of your friends. Many of my clients are the ones with the primary expat jobs in their family, snazzy job titles and IN the corporate structures. We all know it is much easier to find a job when you have a job. As I say to the other half of my clients, the accompanying spouses, it is very much harder when you've lost the entry ramps and informal networks. I've kept up with my referees, have kept them updated, - but its harder to get the soft information and onto the specialist linked-in and professional body groups if you're working abroad in another sector. 'I'm one of you really' I email in plaintive tone to the group's admins. All a bit too needy.
The sector makes a difference. It is far more productive to apply from another country when your sector is international development. When an email address ending in a far-off country domain is an accolade showing you've already won your spurs. Or when you are seeking posts in another country office for the large corporate which sent you to Kenya in the first place. Those of us seeking to return to a non-global sector in an austerity-hit insular market from a foreign clime, well its different. And you're addressing not only the reality, but other people's perceptions of the reality. 'Kenya = mud huts' or 'Kenya = Safari Pit Helmets & Out of Africa', - neither of which are perceived as helpful brands to show you as a key innovator in a university careers service.
The internet and jobs websites are a massive boon. Thank you www.jobs.ac.uk, www.agcas.org.uk, www.tes.co.uk and the ICG. But boo hiss to online applications which allow no space anywhere for free text to explain a non-standard situation in three slick sentences.
'The past is another country. They do things differently there.'
Things move on. Many of the big issues in university careers work are the same as when I left - teaching & learning in an innovative way, supporting clients to get good quality experience to position them well in a difficult market, outperforming the rivals, entrepreneurship, employer engagement, good guidance skills, every last measure to help people get those jobs - but things which were twiddly add-ons four years ago - providing services and workshops online - have become major parts of the job. We do things online at BigCorporate too (unlike in much of Kenya), but of course the 200 word competency questions don't allow for the fact that my clients in the main can only afford phones after they've been at work for several months, and that none of them have laptops. It doesn't mean that I don't develop & market innovative services in an innovative way if I can't answer a question like:
'And can you tell us about a time when you used social media in an organisational context to meet a training need. What did you do and how did you know it was successful?'
But you need the self confidence to produce a more homespun example.
Its a risky business for managers hiring staff. They want to feel assured that you get and can perform in the context. Have skills which add value. Specialisms where you can lead the team. But, beware pitfall, also, where you can lead the team in directions they want to go. Its hard applying from a different context. Much of what I've learned in Kenya has been about how to be creative, resourceful, develop twin-track approaches which cover belt and braces both, and to lead in a difficult, different, insecure environment where I'm in a tiny & very visible minority. And judging by the body language in at least two of the interviews, even toned down magnolia examples can throw the panel, demonstrate the yawning chasm of LifeElsewhere, get interviewers feeling deeply twitchy and insecure, - not what you want. Yes panels want interesting examples, but all too often, I fear, they want interesting examples which hit IN their comfort zones. And that's the gap too for transition between field and headquarters. On paper the competencies look the same. In practice the realities and skillsets don't overlap, never the twain shall meet.
Friends of mine were catching up recently about a third friend who has become a consultant based in an idyllic but non-metropolitan far-flung part of the UK.
'Yes yes, its great on one level, but the problem is he is too far away, he isn't bumping into potential clients at donor meetings or coffee shops, - and out of sight is out of mind.'
And return is a bit like that too. You can affect nonchalence on the form:
'I will be in UK between x and y [carefully covering the dates of the interview] should you wish to shortlist this application.' No one wants to shortlist a candidate who might be asking for international fares in the current climate, better to meet this one head-on. You also don't want to sound that too much is hanging on this lone application lest they get cold feet.
'It would be helpful to know as far in advance as possible to help me to cluster appointments. I would be unavailable on x and y.'
On the other hand you can make it sound too easy. I heard of one Kenya-based Deputy Head who flew back to UK for interview at his own expense four times when each time the job went to the internal candidate, before he netted his own catch. If you know in advance that the internal is the front-runner, don't use an overseas candidate as the makeweight. For me, at one interview recently at a burgeoning university in the North East it became clear that all the other candidates already lived within two miles of the institution. They already had permanent contracts in precisely this role in rival institutions, just wanted to move closer to home. Had all attended the same regional conference on the previous day. Again, the body language of the manager - who failed to give me any eye contact in the hour long pre-briefing of four of us - made it very clear she thought I was the outlier. And that wasn't overcome through the interview, when two of the panel of three sat, arms folded, for 45 minutes.
'I'm quite nice really,' I wanted to say. Though by the end I was feeling more feisty, wanting to lean over and tap them on the chest.
'I've flown 5000 miles, at my own expense, to come for this. I'm not a gatecrasher. You invited me. I've done the preliminary (free) consultancy project you asked for, designed the workshop and the presentation, been observed giving guidance to one of your students. You might at least pretend to put me at ease, or to consider I might have something of interest to share.'
Not that its much easier when the panel has the bright idea to interview remotely.
'Skype doesn't work very well here,' I email, trying to combine proactive solution-finding with realism.
'Can you send me a mobile number so I could text if our power goes, so you aren't left waiting without contact.'
'Oh it'll be fine,' they replied, secure in the knowledge they skype their governors in Clapham and Droitwich without incident. 10 minutes into the interview - which I'm holding outside for the best reception as it isn't raining, be-suited to get in character but with our free-range chickens pecking my toes, - the headteacher broke in, weakly.
'I really can't hear a word you're saying. I think what you're saying sounds interesting, but I really can't tell. Can you send me an email of what you were saying...'
Or my client who had an interview by videolink in a booked internal meeting room. When seven colleagues bustled in, loud and self-importantly for an impromptu meeting in the double-booked room.
'Trying to have a job interview here' he hissed at them out of the side of his mouth so the far-off panel wouldn't notice his strident tone, as the gatecrashers opened their notebooks and settled down for the duration. In vain. Had to decamp to the broom cupboard to conclude the interview by phone.
There are a range of difficulties for the non-resident interviewee. Not least the penchant to give a tour of the campus to the candidates. Which requires a coat, since this is generally conducted in the driving rain. Thank you thank you my generous mate who has lent me her warm, toasty, appropriate Jack Wolfskin coat for each of the interviews of the last year, in lieu of the scraggy winter coat I binned when we left for Kenya, and have been too mean to replace while out here. I'm sure it all helps.
Recruiters, consider how your rejection letters might be received. I know its the bit of the job no one likes, which gets delegated to the lowly admin assistant, but a thoughtful, intelligent one powers the downcast interviewee for weeks (thank you University of Warwick). Whereas this written feedback from a self-importantly Elite Institution got me outraged and spitting feathers:
The panel 'agreed that while you do have substantial experience in counselling and careers, they considered that you do not have substantial employment experience in a sector to which our alumni and students aspire'.
Humph. Of course they see the field of candidates. Its a competitive process and its their right to make that assessment, - though I do find it perplexing as I've worked as a international consultant for three European Union agencies. Nonetheless it speaks volumes of their attitudes. What I'd want to retort (but didn't) is:
'Maybe even more important than my professional experience, is that - not on the form - I've also worked in credit control, as a security guard, as a cleaner and waitress, a care assistant, a temp, in a children's holiday camp and as a language teacher and translator, - and realise that your students and alumni too might need to do this as stepping stones or interim to their professional aspirations. And it might be helpful to have a member of careers staff who understands this and isn't demeaned by it, - because I do wonder what messages your students are getting, if this is what you say in written feedback to a fellow practitioner!' Falala.
Humph. Of course they see the field of candidates. Its a competitive process and its their right to make that assessment, - though I do find it perplexing as I've worked as a international consultant for three European Union agencies. Nonetheless it speaks volumes of their attitudes. What I'd want to retort (but didn't) is:
'Maybe even more important than my professional experience, is that - not on the form - I've also worked in credit control, as a security guard, as a cleaner and waitress, a care assistant, a temp, in a children's holiday camp and as a language teacher and translator, - and realise that your students and alumni too might need to do this as stepping stones or interim to their professional aspirations. And it might be helpful to have a member of careers staff who understands this and isn't demeaned by it, - because I do wonder what messages your students are getting, if this is what you say in written feedback to a fellow practitioner!' Falala.
So which are the tips I wish someone had given me:
* Before you leave your home country, convert to a career break membership of your professional body. They'll offer publications, newsgroups, maybe career guidance, maybe cheap professional liability insurance if you set up shop abroad. But getting in with them, from abroad, ain't easy.
* Keep your eye on the ball back home, keep up your CPD, check how regulations and issues are changing. What implications does this have? And if you're in a highly regulated profession it might be worth considering going back for a month each year to keep your registration up to date. If you're in a sector where you need criminal records checks, - or have children in whose schools you might want - or be forced - to help out, even as a volunteer on a working bus or a reading mum - well make sure you get the proof you haven't been convicted/charged with anything in the host country before you leave.
* Plan at least 18 months in advance for professional return, to update your skills, revive your networks, receive and read key new books via very longwinded post, attend the national conference for networking if funds allow. If you're moving to a third country, consider the needs there, the assets in your current place, the links and transferable skills you could develop or offer. Could you take on a short project to demonstrate your prowess in the new field? Its always easier to get good experience at the end of the previous posting, building on your understanding and contacts, than at the start of the new posting.
* Consider which additional experience abroad would add lustre to your case. In my experience, and that of most of my clients, experience abroad is very devalued in the UK context - unless Abroad is the key business of the organisation - so you're applying based on the experience you had before you left. Nonetheless confidence will out, and knowing you've achieved to your utmost in your current context has to help at some level. But can you publish that research paper or run a free workshop for a prestigious client? How can you demonstrate the level at which you've been performing to a new market which can't read the signals of the brands you've been working with, the challenges you've overcome?
* Recruiters are conservative, especially with non-resident applicants where there might be some doubt about their claims, where the most recent referee, however acclaimed, isn't in the same networks, where you haven't seen the applicant in action. Initially I tried applying for a new sector (careers work in schools) based on the work I'd been doing in Kenya in this field. One headteacher was upfront with me.
'Yes you were the front runner, have very strong experience. We liked you, you would fit in. But your experience in university admissions was mainly abroad. In Africa. We can see you've had a national impact in an internationally competitive field. But Head of Careers is just too important a job for us to take a risk, however small. Sorry.'
Be realistic about how big a switch you can do. In general you aren't going to get a promotion on immediate return unless you're staying within the same organisation. Transitions to new sectors based on overseas experience will be tricky too. Sadly UK-based experience is what counts for most recruiters in these risk-averse times, even when, as in higher education, its a global market. Be willing to be flexible, to either better focus your message or to adapt where you target to feedback from the market, however wrongheaded you may think it.
* Save, hard. As a teacher at our kids' school said, tongue in cheek, when congratulated on her new job back home: 'Yes, we can eat again.' But it adds up. Flights, hire cars, travelodge rooms and somewhere to hang out between stage one and two of the interview, ain't cheap.
* Articulate your needs in the application form. 'Our post takes six weeks. Communication by email is best.' I couldn't come back for interview during the six week period around Kenyan elections, as we were apprehensive there could be violence, and the family needed me here. In the end it wasn't a problem, but I felt I needed to be clear upfront. But be willing to be flexible. Most universities are now selecting by two and three stage assessment centre processes - not ideal for a candidate hoping to fit it all into one or two days - and in the end I had to bow out of University of London's extended four stage process. Sadly just not viable.
* Think hard which achievements are the most relevant for the new context. Get feedback. When you are transferring within the same context you can usually be clear that the examples you are most impressed by are those which speak most eloquently of your competencies. But into a new context it can just articulate dissonance.
My example of training and sending undergraduate mentors out into the bush to offer outreach guidance support and to talk high school teachers through how to write a university reference doesn't speak of creativity, innovation and resilience in the UK setting, but of do-lally failure to focus. Why didn't they just phone head office or look it up on the internet? Or ask someone local who knew how. Hard, from the UK, to imagine schools which don't have phone lines let alone internet (or computers), where teachers are highly respected but lack professional networks or any contacts with anyone with experience overseas at all, even a week's holiday in the neighbouring country. Just as other people's holiday photos are rarely that fascinating for public consumption, so too the highs and lows of your professional achievements abroad will likely need radical trimming and strimming before they hit the spot back home.
* Which is why career guidance helps, but guidance with skilled practitioners who understand the issues and the context, - and don't give cookie cutter answers, but think on the job and say when they don't know. I went to C2, the Careers Group, University of London's commercial careers service where they deal with streams of mid career professionals - and it shows. Not cheap at £160 for a one hour session - but precisely the specialist support & focus I needed and couldn't have got in Kenya to help me get the job.
And what do you think, what were your experiences?
Very interesting article. And congratulations on getting a job.
ReplyDeleteHave just been through same VERY DEMANDING experience. After 9+ years overseas in Africa as trailing spouse it took 8 months, 14 applications, 11 shortlistings and 8 interview invitations to get 1 job back in UK after attending 6 interviews! Have shared your VERY USEFUL post with others here trying to get back into jobs in UK with so far not much success
ReplyDeleteMidlife, thank you so much for your heartening comments over the months - great to know you're out there! And Anonymous, congratulations & thanks so much for sharing your experience. I think its dramatically underresearched & the resilience & tenaciousness of those who do persevere deserves several medals!
ReplyDelete