Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Winning NaNoWriMo


NaNoWriMo is about making a commitment to writing 50,000 words of a new novel during the month of November. Turning aspiring novelists to perspiring novelists.

OK I admit it, I cheated. Or as the NaNoWriMo gang call it, 'Became a rebel.' Because I was aiming to write more words to turn the blog to a book, not starting on something from scratch.

But yesterday I limped to the finish. For now. Printed off 78,000 words of what might, one day, become a book.  Printed off my certificate.

It's been a great process. Being part of a community of 300,000 worldwide all struggling with the same issues. Having a marvellous set of forums on which to procrastinate when you can't focus.  Reading the comments from the others worldwide writing autobiographical novels, those struggling with bereavement and big life issues. And then taking another 20 minute break in the Reference Forum, where stuck novelists post their information requests.

I hadn't realised I was an expert on so much. This month I've posted my opinions on the zany.
'Where in London would you place a portal to Faeryland?' I just love this question. On the embarrassing. 'Has anyone been on a Thames Dinner Dance Cruise? Details please.' Of the 300,000 members I was seemingly the only one who had.
'It was an office Christmas party!' she says defensively.
On the personal.
'What do Peace Corps volunteers import to Kenya?'
Well I'm not one, but I'd guess tampons, electrical kit, books, clothes, shoes and specialist food. And have pondered on the odd.
'What does brandy taste like?'
Well why not just try some?  Until you realise that this is maybe a writer on the Young Writers Programm, possibly some US fourteen year old, who has been old enough to embark on his novel, but is still many years below the licensing law in his state.

It's not that its all been fun. It's been a long haul. But for me its been the most effective way ever to get and to keep writing, to a purpose.

And yesterday, when I'd validated my novel, and got the winner's bar added under my name, and watched the video of the team cheering me, it still didn't feel quite such a rush as finishing my first 5K in Stanborough Park.  Until I read the screen:  'Congratulations, novelist.'

And its true. Whether I ever dis-enter it from the bottom drawer to edit it, or not. Whether it ever gets published. Whether anyone but me ever reads it.  'Congratulations novelist.'

The biggest journey starts with a single step.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on that accomplishment!! A job well done!!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was so excited to get a visit from Africa thought I'd return the call and, boy, am I impressed by the novel. Always hoped there was one lurking me somewhere but would never ever have the ability to extract it!

    ReplyDelete

Please do leave a comment, it is good to hear from you.