Saturday, December 3, 2011

Colleagues & Spice and All Things Nice

It's not that I'm a Gina Ford Groupie. I'm happy to tear up the masterplans, revert to plan B or F, or to busk it for a while. But three months on from throwing my toys out of the pram with BigCorporate (see here http://www.onthethresholdafrica.blogspot.com/2011/09/when-mum-turned-into-monster.html)  I do miss the structure of two days a week of being part of a team, the routine of arriving at the same office to action my bit of the project with the same gang.

It's not I'm being idle. I'm getting lots of individual clients and enjoy the work with them. I'm bidding for more corporate work, and think I'll be busy there too soon.  It wasn't that BigCorporate had the (minor) perks of UK offices - a kettle or a coffee machine, a printer, shared network or even a stationery cupboard from which to take a new sharp pencil when the rest of life seemed out of control.  I enjoyed the work, the clients, the clear signs of progress. But what I really miss are the colleagues and the structure of someone else's office.  Wouldn't want it full time if I can help it. But like a well-fitted supportive bra, you miss it when its gone.

Even when its head down, up to the wire multi-tasking pressurised stress, I prefer to have others alongside me. I enjoy two minute inconsequential chats with the security guards, with others in the lift. I liked trying to decipher Sheng, the cool yoof Swahili dialect. Being a fly on the wall as my Kenyan colleagues chatted together about life, and I learnt by osmosis the bits I didn't realise were different.  Being one of a team with whom to share successes, to chew over dilemmas, to reach group decisions. About whom to gripe in the evenings. Occasionally.

I grew up listening to the Archers, the long-running Radio Four radio soap.  Saw my life a bit in juxtaposition with my peers there. Well at least I'm not as smug as that Shula. Or as ditsy and feckless as Nigel of the Mr Whippy van. Sadly, not as much fun as Eddy, the ne'er do well country & western crooner and general cheeky chappie.  Liked trying on the realities of their fictional everyday life. And in the same way, my time next to the lives of my Kenyan colleagues and students added an extra dimension to my life here. New realities. New experiences.  New understandings. A more intense spicier reality than the blander more homogenous existence in the expat enclave.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do leave a comment, it is good to hear from you.